At least 63 members of the Windrush generation could have been wrongfully removed or deported from the United Kingdom since 2002, the home secretary has said.
Javid said the Home Office had identified cases where people were removed who may have come to the United Kingdom legally from the Caribbean.
Mr Javid told MPs that the department were examining the removal of 32 "foreign national offenders" and 31 other people forcibly removed from the country. The government said last month that it believed no one had been wrongly deported from the group after being branded an illegal immigrant.
He said the figures were provisional.
He said: "I've asked officials to be absolutely certain and thorough and check over every record and make sure".
Sajid Javid, who took over as home secretary, or interior minister, on April 30 after Amber Rudd was forced to resign over her handling of the Windrush scandal, appeared on Tuesday in front of a committee of lawmakers investigating the scandal.
According to a letter sent to MPs on the committee by Home Office permanent Secretary Sir Philip Rutnam, there have been 17 cases where deported Windrush immigrants have returned to the United Kingdom since 2015.
From that number, over 4,482 individuals have been referred to Home Office caseworkers, resulting in over 1,482 appointments being booked.
He did not know how many people had been detained because of false suspicions over their immigration status. The UK's opposition claims the crisis was the effect of a "hostile environment" created by the Home Office when it was headed by Theresa May from 2010 to 2016.
The Windrush migrants arrived between the late 1940s and 1973, mainly from the Caribbean, but some have been threatened with deportation in recent years.
The London mayor Sadiq Khan said he was shocked by the potential number of erroneous deportations.