Diane Chung, a real estate agent, said that on September 3, she was in an elevator and her phone became hot.
This incident occured only ten days after the Galaxy Note 9 series went on sale on August 24. The issue was disastrous for the company, so it will no doubt be displeased to see a lawsuit alleging that a Galaxy Note 9, the most recent version of the large-screened device, has also ignited. She added that Samsung should have been aware of the "defective" Galaxy Note 9.
A Samsung spokesperson responded to the New York Post, saying "We have not received any reports of similar incidents involving a Galaxy Note 9 device and we are investigating the matter".
She placed it in her purse, but soon noticed smoke coming from the pouch. In 2016, the Korean electronics giant discontinued the device after a battery flaw caused dozens of the phones to explode or burst into flames.
The New York Post also confirmed that the woman wants Samsung to pay for all the damages including her purse and her belongings.
When launching the Note 9 last month, Samsung president Koh Dong-jin said the battery in the device was "safer than ever", and "users do not have to worry about the batteries anymore".
Samsung gained a notorious reputation for spontaneously combusting devices two years ago, the Galaxy Note 7 having to be recalled due to a defect that made the devices run at temperatures just a touch higher than ideal.
As per the lawsuit, Chung placed the bag on the elevator floor, as she attempted to pull out her smoking Samsung phone, burning her fingers in the process. It will definitely be a challenge for Samsung to figure out legit incidents and to placate the public who can still remember the circus around the literally hot Galaxy Note 7. It should be remembered that the Galaxy Note 7 only started atching fire a month or so after it launched in the market and despite glowing initial reviews.