"MBS probably authorized a rendition (of Khashoggi), which, if so, was ill-advised, but leaders and governments make mistakes, sometimes awful ones", tweeted Ali Shihabi, head of pro-Saudi think tank Arabia Foundation said to be close to the government.
The kingdom's weeks of denial and lack of credible evidence in the face of allegations from Turkish officials that Mr Khashoggi had been killed in at Riyadh's Istanbul consulate have shaken global confidence in ties with the world's top oil exporter.
The kingdom acknowledged early Saturday that Khashoggi died in a brawl in its consulate, but did not give any explanation on the cause of his death.
Khashoggi, a United States resident and Washington Post columnist, disappeared on October 2 after he walked into the Saudi consulate in Istanbul to obtain documents for his upcoming marriage to Hatice Cengiz. Once he was inside the diplomatic mission, the Saudis accosted Khashoggi, cut off his fingers, killed and dismembered the 59-year-old writer.
Madani, along with an accomplice, is seen walking to the central Sultan Ahmed Mosque, commonly known as the Blue Mosque, which he disappears into for a short amount of time.
While the video's authenticity couldn't immediately be verified, the suspect, identified as Mustafa al-Madani, was filmed entering the consulate building in a plaid shirt and jeans at 11 a.m. on October 2, two hours before Khashoggi arrived to obtain his marriage papers.
The crown prince has "crossed a line and there has to be a punishment and a price paid for that", Corker said. "I don't know who is behind these claims, or their intentions, nor do I care frankly".
President Donald Trump said Saturday he would speak to the crown prince "very soon" as he works to determine what, if any, consequences the US ally will face for the killing of a dissident journalist.
Erdogan has remained largely silent on the case, although Turkey's pro-government newspapers have released information about events at the consulate.
Officials in Saudi Arabia have not answered repeated requests for comment from The Associated Press in recent days, including on Monday.
Last week, a leaked photograph apparently taken from surveillance footage showed Mutreb at the consulate, just ahead of Khashoggi's arrival.
Following a telephone conversation between Saudi Arabia's King Salman and Donald Trump, the USA president told reporters that the king had denied all knowledge of Khashoggi's disappearance.
Turkey earlier said 15 Saudis who travelled to Istanbul were involved in Khashoggi's disappearance. Saudi Arabia has acknowledged that the critic died there, though says his death was the result of a "fistfight".
Last week, a total of 23 consulate employees had also spoken to the prosecutors.
"At moments like this it is the job of a friend to tell the truth; and the truth is that the killing of Khashoggi was a barbaric act to which we in Britain refuse to turn a blind eye", Britain's former foreign minister, Boris Johnson, said on Twitter Monday.
Several senior members of US President Donald Trump's Republican Party said they believed Prince Mohammed was linked to the killing, and one called for a "collective" Western response if a link is proved. There obviously was a tremendous mistake made, and what compounded the mistake was the attempt to try to cover it up. "That is unacceptable to the government".
The next day a Saudi official insisted that Khashoggi had left shortly after getting the paperwork and that he was "not in the consulate nor in Saudi custody". Germany has also said it will halt arms exports to the Kingdom so long as the uncertainty over the fate of Khashoggi persists.